whitsundays.... july windy?

Submitted: Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 17:40
ThreadID: 85363 Views:2045 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I did it! Paddled 130ks in 3 and half days. Port of Sale to Lakes Entrance.

One of the best things I've done.

Now I'm on a 'roll', I've joined up with a group planning to paddle the Whitsundays in the first week of July. My only worry.... motion sickness.

How windy [and wavey] does it get up in Nth Qld during July?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Isuzumu - Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 17:51

Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 17:51
July is usually the start of the better weather up there, lighter south, south easterlies. As long as we are out of the La Nina, a few old mates have told me last year was one of the worst weather patterns they have experienced in many a year.
The thing to watch out for around the islands is wind against tide, can get very choppy, very choppy. So for a good save and faster ride have the wind and tide going your way. Hope this is of some help.
AnswerID: 449992

Reply By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 02, 2011 at 09:15

Saturday, Apr 02, 2011 at 09:15
Not too bad time of year to come up here Royce, with mins of 21 and max of 22 :) Winds are strongest from March to May with September-November considered the best cruising weather in the Whitsundays.

With South-Easterlies prevailing up here, it is worth noting that the direction of the rising tide is southwards through the main passage with the falling tide to the North.Check the tide times for that time of year and you'll gain a better idea of whether it'll be somewhat sloppy in places ;)

The unofficial bible of the Whitsundays - 100 Magical Miles - is an invaluable resource for all things wet.

Hope that helps

Andrew
AnswerID: 450051

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Sunday, Apr 03, 2011 at 14:18

Sunday, Apr 03, 2011 at 14:18
I've spent 5 separate weeks sailing the Whitsundays in each month from May to October.
What makes the Whitsundays so different from most coastal waters is the large tidal ranges and the tidal flows generated Andrew mentioned above. It doesn't just rise and fall gently, there is a very string tidal flow at times of 3knots in many places (floods south/ ebbs north from memory)

The impact of tidal flows and wind can make for very short sharp lumpy seas of up to 2 metres. Tidal flows of 3knots are not uncommon in certain places.
The trick is to plan accordingly and as much as possible use these flows to your advantage not disadvantage.
FollowupID: 722647

Sponsored Links